Community Legal Centres NSW Inc. (CLCNSW) is the peak body for CLCs in NSW. We are resourced by a small State Office which is funded by the NSW Government and Public Purpose Fund. CLCNSW has 40 member organisations including generalist and specialist CLCs. The State Office plays a critical role in the law and justice sector in NSW. It supports and represents CLCs in a range of government and community forums. The State Office works closely with the NSW CLC sector to advance the work of CLCs
CLCNSW itself does not provide legal advice to members of the public. The office is able to assist those seeking legal advice by referrals to an appropriate legal service provider.
Community Legal Centres NSW Inc. (CLCNSW) aims to be an innovative, dynamic and effective provider of support services to community legal centres (CLCs) in New South Wales, and to assist the community legal centre movement to achieve equitable access to justice for all citizens.
CLCNSW, through its State Office, provides services to community legal centres as a group and to individual centres, in the areas of network maintenance and development, communications and information, legal policy development and advocacy, and sector maintenance and development. CLCNSW coordinates strategic direction and development for the sector as a whole, liaises and negotiates with Government on relevant legal and equity issues as well as funding and program issues.
The State Office of CLCNSW has the following 7 objectives:
- Maintain a functional, collaborative and effective network of CLCs in NSW
- Develop, preserve and promote a clear identity for CLCs and our unique place in the justice sector
- Build the organisational capacity of CLCs to operate effectively and deliver quality services
- Advocate for appropriate law reform and effectively promote respect for Human Rights
- Improve funding for CLCs
- Increase access to justice and legal services
- Operate an efficient, effective and best-practice office
For further information on CLCNSW's strategic plan, click on the following link: CLCNSW Strategic Plan 2009-2012
CLCNSW is the NSW state association member of the National Community Legal Centres Association (NACLC). NACLC represents around 200 community legal centres nationally.