Community legal centres are a movement of organisations that provide free legal help, wraparound services and holistic support to people going through tough times. There are 41 community legal centres across New South Wales.
Each year community legal centres support tens of thousands of people experiencing financial hardship, social disadvantage, housing issues, domestic or family violence, discrimination, and other legal and social issues. Community legal centres provide a safety net to prevent people's legal problems from escalating. Without early legal advice, families can break down and health problems can escalate; people can be unnecessarily evicted and can lose their jobs. We also advocate for law reform and social justice, so that our society and laws are just, fair and inclusive.
Community Legal Centres NSW is the peak representative body for 41 community legal centres in New South Wales. Our team supports, represents and advocates for our members, and the legal assistance sector more broadly, with the aim of increasing access to justice for people in NSW.
Specialist community legal centres
Specialist community legal centres give expert legal advice on specific legal issues (like social security or tenancy), or to particular groups of people (like First Nations people, people with disability, or women).
- Animal Defenders Office (ADO)
- Arts Law Centre of Australia
- Australian Centre for Disability Law
- Australian Pro Bono Centre
- Binaal Billa Family Violence Prevention Service
- Environmental Defenders Office NSW (EDO)
- Financial Rights Legal Centre
- HIV/AIDS Legal Centre (NSW) (HALC)
- Human Rights Law Centre
- Immigration Advice and Rights Centre (IARC)
- Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS)
- International Social Service Australia
- Justice Connect
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC)
- Refugee Advice and Casework Service (RACS)
- Seniors Rights Service (SRS)
- Tenants’ Union of NSW
- Thiyama-Li Family Violence Service
- Welfare Rights Centre
- Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women’s Legal Centre
- Women’s Legal Service NSW
- Youth Law Australia
Generalist community legal centres
Generalist community legal centres support people within geographic areas with a range of everyday legal problems. From Albury to the Tweed, and Broken Hill to the Sydney CBD, we’re there supporting local communities.
- Central Coast Community Legal Centre
- Central Tablelands and Blue Mountains Community Legal Centre
- Far West Community Legal Centre
- Hume Riverina Community Legal Service
- Hunter Community Legal Centre
- Illawarra Legal Centre
- Inner City Legal Centre
- Kingsford Legal Centre
- Macarthur Legal Centre
- Marrickville Legal Centre
- Mid North Coast Community Legal Centre
- North and North West Community Legal Service
- Northern Rivers Community Legal Centre
- Redfern Legal Centre
- Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre
- South West Sydney Legal Centre
- University of Newcastle Legal Centre
- Western NSW Community Legal Centre
- Western Sydney Community Legal Centre
Need free legal help?
Community legal centres help thousands of people every single day with a whole range of issues - housing, fines, family matters, domestic and family violence, and more.
Call Law Access on 1300 888 529 or consult our online directory to find out who to speak to.