Community legal centres (CLCs) are independent non-government organisations that provide free legal services to people and communities, at time when that help is needed most - particularly to people facing economic hardship and discrimination.
Community legal centres provide a safety net to prevent people's legal problems from escalating. Without early legal advice, families can break down and health problems can escalate; people can be unnecessarily evicted and can lose their jobs.
There are almost 40 community legal centres in NSW. Below is a list, as well as links to their websites.
For a great overview of the work of community legal centres across NSW, click here.
Specialist community legal centres
- Animal Defenders Office (ADO)
- Arts Law Centre of Australia
- Australian Centre for Disability Law
- Australian Pro Bono Centre
- Binaal Billa Family Violence Prevention Service
- Environmental Defenders Office NSW (EDO)
- Financial Rights Legal Centre
- HIV/AIDS Legal Centre (NSW) (HALC)
- Human Rights Law Centre
- Immigration Advice and Rights Centre (IARC)
- Intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS)
- International Social Service Australia
- Justice Connect
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC)
- Refugee Advice and Casework Service (RACS)
- Seniors Rights Service (SRS)
- Tenants’ Union of NSW
- Thiyama-Li Family Violence Service
- Welfare Rights Centre
- Wirringa Baiya Aboriginal Women’s Legal Centre
- Women’s Legal Service NSW
- Youth Law Australia
Generalist community legal centres
- Central Coast Community Legal Centre
- Central Tablelands and Blue Mountains Community Legal Centre
- Far West Community Legal Centre
- Hume Riverina Community Legal Service
- Hunter Community Legal Centre
- Illawarra Legal Centre
- Inner City Legal Centre
- Kingsford Legal Centre
- Macarthur Legal Centre
- Marrickville Legal Centre
- Mid North Coast Community Legal Centre
- North and North West Community Legal Service
- Northern Rivers Community Legal Centre
- Redfern Legal Centre
- Shoalcoast Community Legal Centre
- South West Sydney Legal Centre
- University of Newcastle Legal Centre
- Western NSW Community Legal Centre
- Western Sydney Community Legal Centre
Need free legal help?
Community legal centres help thousands of people every single day with a whole range of issues - housing, fines, family matters, domestic and family violence, and more.
Call Law Access on 1300 888 529 or consult our online directory to find out who to speak to.